On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:13:42 -0700, Jerry said:
> It has frequently been suggested on this list that, currently, the
> best way to get a LyX file into Microsoft Word is to export from LyX
> to LyXHMTM and then to open that XHTML file with Word. I have Word
> 2011 for OS X and this fails because Word will not open the XHTML
> file, with the message
>

> The XML file bla bla bla cannot be opened because there are problems
> with the contents. Details
> No error detail available
> Location: 2
>

> This happens even for the simplest LyX file with only one sentence
> and no fancy stuff--the entire contents of one test file is simply
> "Test sentence". However, the exported XHTML files doe open OK in
> Firefox and displays math in acceptable, if not perfect, form.
> (Firefox renders MathML out of the box--why can't other browsers join
> the 20th century.)
>
> On the same "Test sentence" file exported via LyXHTML, I opened it in
> TextMate, a very popular and extensible text editor on OS X, and
> applied the "Validate syntax" command that is available therein,
> resulting in this output:
>

> xmllint output
> error: colon are forbidden from PI names 'IS10744:arch'
> <?IS10744:arch xhtml
>               ^
> Test sentence.
>

> I am using LyX 2.0.5 for OS X. I _think_ I have been able to do this
> in the past so I don't know why I can't do it now.
>
> I am preparing to start a major writing project and I want to
> understand as much as I can about this--I'm pretty sure that there
> will be a huge incentive later to have a usable if not perfect
> version of my LyX work available in Word; this will include math.
>
> I know that LyX -> Word is a frequent topic on this list so I'm not
> necessarily looking for a complete rehashing of the topic--only why
> LyXHTML -> Word fails.
>
> Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Your creating a tiny case of the problem is productive and rare. I
looked up your error message and got several promising prospects:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html-editor/2009JulSep/0011.html

I also saw some sources saying that namespaces could not be on if the
name contained a colon. I don't know what that means because I'm not an
XML hound.

SteveT

                          *  http://twitter.com/stevelitt