Dear Nico,

On 2013-01-22, Nico Williams wrote:

> I think the right approach is to have a LyX XML schema, export to
> that, then apply an XSL to convert to whatever format you want.  I've
> written a script to convert .lyx to XML using a very simple-minded
> approach; I don't have a schema defined for this, just well-formed XML
> output.

> There was a thread about this a while back and the conclusion was that
> I'm on my own with this, that for now my lyx2xml is not to be part of
> LyX.  Partly there's a desire to consider making XML a native thing in
> LyX, and partly there's a desire to not add more things into the LyX
> source tree that might break when new features are added elsewhere in
> the tree.

Please don't be discouraged to continue the work on and publication of
the lyx2xml script. I think it is a useful addition to LyX.

If you search the archives, you will find that the idea to move the
native LyX format to XML is discussed since several years without a
consensus between the developers. Therefore I understand the hesitation of
the developers to re-open this can of worms and rather concentrate on
issues that are agreed on.

But this is exactly why I really like your idea of a LyX-XML *in addition*
to the current native format. This will give new insight in the advantages
as well as problems of such a transition and will be of great value to the
"XSL freaks" independent of the decision whether it should become LyX's
default format.

I don't know whether it will become possible to have "painless" LyX<->Word
conversions at all, because the document models differ widely, but XSL may
still be the best route for this conversion.

Thanks for your work,

Günter