Le 25/02/2013 07:48, Charlie a écrit :
   On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 15:39:05 +0100 Jean-Marie mentioned this:
        Re: letter (KOMA-Script v.2) Space between closing and
   signature............

A picture being worth a thousand words, Figure 6.1 in the
scrguien.pdf is your friend.
   My reply follows:

    Hello Jean-Marie,

       I have seen that diagram but again don't know how to work it. The
       different first commands like:

\@addtoplength
or
\@setplength or whatever.
Hi Charlie,

First, as my own copy of the guide is quite old (my figure 6.1 is now 17.1), I updated it now from the last one dated 2012-05-15 which is here:
http://www.komascript.de/files/scrguien.pdf

So the page numbers I'm using now refer to this last version of the guide.
How does one understand these commands? How does one know which to use
where?

Read section 4.2 Pseudo-Lengths (page 135). With my words:
All these pseudo-lengths have a default value. If you want to change this default value and make it completly different you use \@setplength. If you want to slightly modify it, you use \@addtoplength.

I have attached the diagram you sent and added the commands that you
have helped me with in green and red.

I have also tried to make the signature on my letter template come to
the left of the page with these commands, none of which work:

\@setplength{sigindent}{\raggedleft} without success [...]
And many more, to numerous to mention here, but never the right one.

\@setplength{sigindent}{0mm}
will place the box containing the signature on the left side but this is already defined in the DIN.lco

It's probably worthwhile to make your own version of the DIN.lco that you are using. Copy it under a new name (myDIN.lco f.ex.) in the directory where you have your lyx letters and modify it as you wish:

Instead of using
\@addtoplength{firstheadvpos}{1cm}
after calling the original DIN.lco where this plength is set, you can replace inside your new lco the
\@setplength{firstheadvpos}{8mm}
by
\@setplength{firstheadvpos}{18mm}

Don't forget to call your lco file in the preamble:

\LoadLetterOption{myDIN}%

To place the signature inside the closing box on the left you have to change in your lco file
 \let\raggedsignature=\centering
\let\raggedsignature=\raggedright

HTH
--