I suspect that the Palatino that appears in the font list is NOT the same as Palatino Linotype, especially in terms of spacing-- it takes less space than Georgia, which uses less space than Helvetica or Arial. When I try to use the URW Palladino that appears in the list, I get the error message: Font-not-found, even though I have TeX gyre and other packages installed that say they use URW Palladino. I had solved my immediate problem using Georgia, but I like the appearance of Palatino, and would love to use it in the future, if I could persuade Lyx to let me.

Ehud

On 03/05/2013 10:42 AM, Guenter Milde wrote:
On 2013-03-05, ehud.kap...@gmail.com wrote:

Since NIH now wants us to use Palatino Linotype (among several other,
uglier fonts), I tried to find it in the Lyx font list, but could only
find Palatino, which is apparently different from Palatino Linotype.
Where can I find Palatino Linotype so I could add it to the Lyx font list?
If you have Palatino Linotype installed on your machine and available in
other editors, it should be available as "non-TeX font" (i.e. with XeTeX or
LuaTeX), too.

If not, you may try the "other" Palatino and almost noone will realize
(unless they look up the font list in the PDF metadata).

Günter

--
Ehud Kaplan, Ph.D.
Jules and Doris Stein /Research to Prevent Blindness/ Professor