The information I was able to find on the subject was murky, and left it unclear (at least for me) whether the two fonts are the same.
However, I did compile my document with Palatino, and it was nearly as economical (in terms of space) as Times New Roman.
I read somewhere that Palatino Linotype took up MORE space than Times New Roman, which is why I suspect that P. Linotype is not
the same as Palatino, even though the letter shapes might be similar.
NIH probably chose P. Linotype precisely because it allows you to put fewer words on the page than, say, Times New Roman,
to protect the sanity of the poor reviewers.

Ehud