On Tue, 12 Mar 2013, Regina Anger wrote:

However, for me latex does not hyphenate long function names at all, and I
do not want the fuction name to be cut-off in the middle.

Regina,

  Sometimes TeX cannot determine where a word should be hypenated so it
sticks out into the right margin. We give TeX hints for hyphenating by
entering the ERT \- at places where it is OK to hyphenate the word. TeX will
pick one of these and use it. I do this quite frequently.

  The alternative is to re-order the sentence so the long string is within
the line and shorter words surround it. I do this, too, on occasion.

Rich