On 13/06/05 21:46, stefano franchi wrote:

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Richard Heck <rgh...@lyx.org
<mailto:rgh...@lyx.org>> wrote:

    On 06/05/2013 12:12 PM, Piersante Sestini wrote:

        On 05/06/2013 17:46, Richard Heck wrote:

            On 06/05/2013 11:32 AM, Piersante Sestini wrote:

                I have a problem formatting enumerated lists in a document.

                What I need is
                ==
                1 item bla bla bla bla
                     (a) sub-item
                     (b)another sub-item
                   continue item 1 again bla bla bla

                2 another item bla bla bla

                However, what I get is:

                1 item bla bla bla bla
                     (a) sub-item
                     (b)another sub-item
                2  continue item 1 again bla bla bla <---!!!

                3 another item bla bla bla

                ==
                How do I prevent lyx from inserting a new item number
                after the last sub-item of a list?

            I don't think you can do this in LyX without ERT. LyX thinks
            that new paragraphs are new items, and I don't see any way
            to override this behavior.

            For now, then, you have to use ERT for your subitems, as in
            the attached.

            Richard

        Thanks! I actually solved it (just by luck) changing the text
        after the last sub-item to "standard", and keeping it nested at
        the same level of the sub-items.

    Indeed, that does work. And what's really funny is that I've used
    this trick myself in the past. Totally forgot about it.

Bennet's solution works perfectly and it is aesthetically pleasing to
the eye. Sometimes, though, you need to interrupt the list altogether,
from the next number.Something like this:

1 item bla bla bla bla
     (a) sub-item
     (b)another sub-item
continue item 1 again bla bla bla

2 another item bla bla bla

In these cases you can use the enumitem module, which imports the
enumitem latex package. Unfortunately the numbering pattern looks wrong
on screen, but it turns out fine in the pdf. See attached example.

thanks. indeed it works (although for some reason I had also to force the first item number to be changed with with a TEX tag ([2] in this case). Anyway, I find the other solution to be somewhat cleaner.

It is nice to have more than a solution to a problem.

thanks to everybody for your quick support!

Piersante Sestini
Cheers,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu <mailto:stef...@tamu.edu>
http://stefano.cleinias.org