On 08/25/2013 09:01 AM, Wolfgang Keller wrote:
That was a typo and should have been 15, as the original message said. I know Lyrix was implemented first using XForms some time late in the 90s, but it must have been after 1995.

Not exactly. It began either in 95 or earlier, and the original widget library was Motif, not Xforms. I had a linux box with motif (that I had purchased) at the time, and would provide binaries with statically-linked Motif for those who did not have their own (most linux users did not, since Motif was never open-source. The "notif" clone was not available then, either.

I haven't been able to find 0.7 or older source code for LyX, but scanning my directories I found a file written in 0.7, in 1995. Here is the header of that file:

#This file was created by <(null)> Sat Nov 25 02:07:18 1995
#LyX 0.7 (C) 1995 Matthias Ettrich
\lyxformat 2.10

The original versions did not display math at all, but showed any math as ERT. It still was easier to work with (for me, anyway) than plain LaTeX. Once the displayed math came along, it was much, much better.

Way earlier than that. I switched to Lyx after I completed my
dissertation (which I wrote in Framemaker, on a NeXt cube. Boy am I
old!).
<Topper>

That's nothing.

Framemaker? NeXt? Pampered upperclass brat.
The NeXt was such a pile. For the time, great GUI, but the CPU was incredibly slow (Motorola 608030 if memory serves), and that r/w optical drive!

Remember Wordstar (don't know which version) on plain MS DOS?
Oh, yeah. Plus various technical-writing programs, some more wysiwyg than others, but the printout usually was horrible.

--

David L. Johnson
Department of Mathematics