On 30/08/2013 1:49 PM, Ken Springer wrote:
On 8/29/13 8:08 PM, Steve Litt wrote:

When doing stochastic screening, the ideal is to screen at the same dpi as the final printing device. Next best is an even multiple. I.E. screen at 300 dpi for printing on a 600 dpi printer. You also have to decide on the finished physical size of the graphic before you start.

I used to use the regular graphic in all the drafts. When I was satisfied with everything, then I applied the stochastic screen.

I just searched Inscape+"stochastic screening" and got a bunch of
useless stuff including an anti-Obama site (whaaaaat, how'd Google do
that?). Then I did the same thing for LaTeX, nothing ontopic for us.
Same thing with "Computer monitors". One site said most inkjet printers
use stochastic screening.

I suspect all home printers and laser printers now have some kind of stochastic screening routines in their printer drivers. But, I've not tested the idea.

An interesting discussion, but a question about Stochastic screening from someone who has only just heard of it.

Is this screening something done at print driver level, and not a screen applied to the graphic itself prior to importing? ... therefore the same pdf file could be printed both with and without stochastic screening if the printer/driver support it?

Steve