25/10/2013 10:13, Scott Kostyshak:
... except that, for a Mac user, doing that requires to find the lyx binary.
 From the top of my head, it is at
/Applications/LyX.app/Contents/MacOSX/lyx

Thanks for the correction. Why doesn't the PATH environment variable
take care of this?

Because Mac applications are not supposed to be run from the command line. If I want to open a lyx file from the command line, I do "open myfile.lyx".

OSX programs are of two kinds: the usual unixy commands, and the OSX-type, where each application is actually a folder containing the binary and all its resources. This is great because it allows to install an application by drag and drop. By default, the Finder hides this and the application folder looks like a plain executable on which one can double-click to launch LyX.

JMarc