30/01/2014 09:16, Wolfgang Engelmann:
I am on Debian (Linux). My assumption that the strange appearance (see
my screen shot of the upper left LyX menu bar) was a result of the
lyxpipe warning was wrong, since I do not get this anymore. However, the
strange appearance is found whenever I start LyX.

If it does not interfere with my working with LyX, I don't mind. But its
strange...

This looks like the old bug about new toolbars showing up at weird places. I think this is will go away with a clean session. Try removing ~/.config/LyX/lyx.conf (or a different name if LyX was built with version suffix).

JMarc