On 02/17/2014 04:39 PM, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
I ran into a rather odd problem today, and I was wondering if it is a known
issue with subfloats. I have a paper (AMS article class) in which I have
several figures with subfigures and several tables, one of which (Table 6)
has two subtables. I created these the usual LyX way (inserting floats
inside floats), and I put the figure/table content above the caption
(meaning subfigures and subtables went above the figure/table captions as
well). I inserted labels in the captions and cross-references to them in the
text.

All the figures and tables are correctly numbered, and all the references to
subfigures in the text are correct. References to the one pair of subtables
(Table 6), however, show up as Table 5a and Table 5b rather than 6a and 6b.

Moving the subfloats in Table 6 under the caption fixed the problem (but
necessitated my doing the same for all other floats, for stylistic
consistency). It seems odd to me that subfigures (done identically) were
numbered correctly when subtables were not.

Is this an issue with the subfig package? Down the road I would like to
revert to my normal practice of putting the content above the caption.

This is a LaTeX issue. The table counter is not updated until you hit the caption associated with the table. There's presumably some way this could be worked around on the LaTeX end, so I'd guess that the subfigure package anticipates the problem---you can only have subfigures in a figure, so we can adjust---but there's no similar anticipation with subtables.

You can fix this yourself, if you wish, by manually stepping the table counter before the subtables, then stepping it back before you get to the caption.

Richard