Hi Kevin,
I'm maintaining the LyX port of classicthesis style, and would like to help you with this. However, I am not sure if I understood what exactly your problem is. The template uses only local (./) files, if you change the location of any of them, you should make LyX and LaTeX aware of that.

Document Settings > Document Class > local layout should point to classicthesis.layout.

classicthesis.sty should be where LaTeX can find it

classicthesis-congig.tex should be where the rest of the template is

Can you please post a list of the changes you've made, I'll try to reproduce.