On 02/22/2014 08:27 PM, stefano franchi wrote:
On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 4:47 PM, Jason F. Siegel <siege...@umail.iu.edu> wrote:
On 02/22/2014 04:45 PM, stefano franchi wrote:
On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 12:34 PM, Jason F. Siegel <siege...@umail.iu.edu>
wrote:
On 02/22/2014 11:12 AM, stefano franchi wrote:
On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 7:10 PM, Jason F. Siegel <siege...@umail.iu.edu>
wrote:
Hi all,

Stefano was gracious enough to look at my LyX file directly. He
discerned
after a good bit of discovery that the problem was two lines in the TeX
preamble:

\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage{english}

To remove them, I had to go to Tools→Preferences→Language
Settings→Language.
I wiped the Command start field and changed the language package to
None.
Apparently polyglossia and biblatex don't work together, but according
this post (

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/119682/how-to-use-polyglossia-with-biblatex),
the development version of biblatex will fix this problem.

Once that was done, I needed to go to

\usepackage[style=authoryear,natbib=true,backend=biber]{biblatex}

and delete ,backend=biber in order to get the bibliography to display.

Hi Jason,

I am glad to hear your problem was solved. I don't quite understand
why the second step was necessary though.
In fact, removing "backend=biber" from the call to biblatex should
have no effect, since biblatex would then use the default backend,
which is indeed biber.
Moreover, in my tests on your file, everything compiled with the
offending "backend=biber" in place.
Would you mind trying restoring it and letting me know which kind of
errors you get?

Cheers,

Stefano

Upon restoration of that piece of code, the bibliography doesn't load
when
the file compiles. Moreover, the in-text citations remain unformatted.
Hmm, I cannot reproduce it here. It compiles fine with the
backend=biber option, references are prperly printed, the biblioraqphy
is all right, etc. Two options come to mind:

1. You somehow have a faulty biber installation. Biblatex tries to
call biber and fails with backend = biber. Without it, however, it
tries first to call biber, then falls back on bibtex (or possibly some
other engine).

2. Biber installation is fine, ut somehow biber cannto find your bib
file (perhaps you have spaces in the path)?H

Would you mind trying the following:

1. Restore the backend=biber option.
2. Run View>>pdf(xetex)
3. Look into Document>>Latex Log, cut and paste the output in your reply
4. Still from within Document>>Latex log, select "bibTeC" from the
"Log type " drop down menu, and similarly cut and paste the output.

I would really like to understand if there is something wrong in how
Lyx calls biber.

Thanks,

Stefano
Here is the BiBTeX log, as requested.

This is BibTeX, Version 0.99d (TeX Live 2012/Debian)
Capacity: max_strings=35307, hash_size=35307, hash_prime=30011
The top-level auxiliary file: Dissertationtemplate.aux

Ahh, I get it know. You probably have "bibtex" selected in
Document>Settings>Bibliography>Bibliography generation

if you change the setting to "biber" or (I think) to "Default", you
should be able to use
backend=biber in your biblatex call in the preamble.

Cheers,

Stefano

I wish I could say that that worked, but unfortunately it did not. Whether biber or default is selected, including "backend=biber" in the preamble causes a conflict that keeps the bibliography from printing and the in-text citations from formatting. Additionally, selecting biber in the path you provided has the same issues. It's only with Default that this document compiles correctly.

--Jason

--Jason