On 13/03/14 20:17, stefano franchi wrote:
> 1. Leave the exporter as it is and be left with imperfect and
> sometimes incomplete but editable math expressions when LaTeX is used
> at its fullest

this one seems to me what we should aim for -- the most ambitious goal
of interoperability among the two. If you're collaborating with colleagues
and need LibreOffice round trips, you'll learn with time which latex
constructs are compatible and preserved, and which ones are instead
wiped out in the round-trip, and you'll avoid them.

> 2. Instruct the exporter to produces images of math expressions
> instead of MathML, and leave the job to create a perfect-looking math
> expression in LibreOffice/Word to the publisher/typesetter.

this would make sense if there's a way to instruct LibreOffice in a
way in which you can:
-) right-click on the image, pick "Modify image"
-) then you get a text editor open, with your LaTeX formula
-) once you save back, it is latex-dvi-pdf-ed back again into the .odt
Would that be possible?

In my experience, the only times I needed non-latex sources, was because
I was asked for MS Word format for the camera ready (my colleagues forced
me into round-tripping with latex, actually :-) ). In that moment, what
I'd need most, is the 2nd option in which I get all equations perfectly
right, but in form of (vectorial) images. But it's actually .docx that
publishers ask for, not .odt!

        T.