> One other question:  I have a section in my appendix that needs to be
> single spaced instead of double.  If I highlight the text and go to
> paragraph settings I see the line spacing options.  I try to set that
> section to single spaced but then get compile errors:
>
> ! LaTeX Error: Command \singlespace already defined.
>
> ! LaTeX Error: Command \singlespace already defined.
>

> I’m thinking maybe something in the class file is preventing single space
> from happening.  Am I on the right track?

No. What happens here is that the class provides its own \singlespace
command, but LyX loads the setspace package for singlespacing, which also
defines \singlespace, and the two definitions clash.

>  Is there simple fix for this and am I even doing it right?

In the lyx layout file (uuthesis.layout), add the following line (for
example under the "PageStyle Headings" line):

Provides setspace 1

Restart LyX and the error should vanish.

HTH

Jürgen