Sorry, but I do not seem to be able to reply except by "top posting".

I'm using Windows, 64 bit.

Here's the very end of my .tex file:

\begin{quotation}

\bibliographystyle{plain}

\bibliography{\string"//phil-home.ad.umn.edu/phil-home$/whanson/My
Documents/BibTeX/library\string"}

\end{quotation}

\end{document}

I have tried removing the space in "...My Documents ...", but it doesn't
help.  In fact in the process of removing the spaces I've somehow managed
to mess up my document so that now when I convert it to a pdf file there
are no references at the end.  And in the text all the citations say [?].

Bill