This would have been my suggestion, too. After all, "Cloud storage" was
available already in the 80's...

Here's the current dial-up BBS list:

http://www.telnetbbsguide.com/dialbbs/dialbbs.htm

I would advise to login first using telnet, with something that supports VT100
terminal type. Then go to your prerences in the BBS and choose "tty" as
terminal type, and set screen lenght to 16 or so. In this way you can get rid
of all the fancy stuff. Only then dial in with M100 and message your file to
yourself as a private message. Then login back with your modern computer, or
smartphone, by telnet for example. And read your private message.

I've had success with Synchronet-based boards, although they do not support the
40 character line width. Others might work as well.