I have found not all usb to serial cables work with the ModelT computers.

      From: John R. Hogerhuis <jho...@pobox.com>
 To: Model 100 Discussion <m100@lists.bitchin100.com>
 Sent: Friday, February 12, 2016 7:11 PM
 Subject: Re: [M100] New mComm release 0.8

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 3:59 PM, Tom Hoppe <tjho...@gmail.com> wrote:

I finally had time to test this. It works great on Samsung Galaxy S5. I am
having unrelated issues with TS-DOS/NewDOS, but it occurs with DLPLus and
LaddieAlpha as well. Rex works great every time for loading saving BX and BY
files. If I try to load or save from TS-DOS or NewDOS it just hangs. I am using
the same store bought null modem cable that I have used for years, so that
should be okay.

If it happens with LaddieAlpha as well it's a problem with either your null
modem cable or the serial adapter.
Some null modem cables do not crossover DTR/DSR. You can buzz it out and see
how it's wired.
Some usb serial cables have burned out or disconnected DTR or other flow
control pin that can cause problems.
What OS?
-- John.