I went with the "buy an adapter, chop the cable, and re-solder to
reverse polarity" route.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Adapter-2-1mm-Regulated-Supply/dp/B006QYWHIM

I actually have that same Vellman, but didn't think it was working.
Turns out it was a problem with my other M102 not taking any sort of
external power.

~Joe