The figtronix link broke because I asked him a question about his main rom
adapter a couple weeks ago, and he updated the board, just the silkscreen
not anything functional, and he removed the old link and made a new one. I
don't know if that's just the way oshpark works or if he's just doing
something wrong.

He ended up doing a bunch of stuff that I wanted for free and without
asking, so I wasn't going to complain about a little thing like it's
annoying having to keep finding out the new link!

We ended up trading a lot of emails and he whipped up both the option rom
board and the programmer adapter after I showed him the club100 links to
the old EME option rom module. There were several rapid iterations of both
of those and he did the same thing each time with those too, broke the
existing link and made a new one. And it takes forever before they show up
in the oshpark search too.

(Oh yeah, don't trust that search. Find any working link to any board by
that guy, then click on the guy's name, and THERE you see all his other
boards, including all 3 M100-related, even though they don't show up in the
search.)

Anyway there's lot's of ways to skin the same cat of course.

I like your board too. I actually assembled one of your boards too, but I'm
using the figtronix at the moment, because I don't want a combined system
and option rom, I want to be able to use the external accessible option
rom socket to swap roms and install commercial roms, and I want the system
rom to be socketed and re-programmable or at least swappable. I actually
found ceramic uv-erasable clcc 27C256, but even replacing OTP plcc ones is
better than needing a test-clip.

One thing I should verify, maybe there IS actually room to solder your
board on the motherboard and put a dip socket on the adapter, then trim the
legs of the eprom a little so the eprom sits lower in the socket, does the
resulting stack come out 0.55" or shorter? That would meet all my same
wishes above. Takes a standard eprom, and the eprom is removable and
reprogrammable with no special adapters.

Ideally I'd like both the main and option roms to use the same kind of
eprom. not plcc in one and soic in the other. There is just barely vertical
room for a low profile plcc socket in the option rom, but low profile plcc
sockets are surface mount so soldering them at home is not simple like the
regular socket with thru pins. I have old commercial option roms that used
a full dip28 eprom on a board. it's a tight fit but it works. The holes for
the eprom are actually pulled in a little closer than the proper dip28
spacing, squished inside the half-holes on the edges which are at dip28
spacing. No room for a socket, so a board like that you could only
re-program with either a test clip or a programming adapter, but that's no
worse than what you already need for the soic board. But at least then
that, along with your main rom board, means you'd have the same kind of
part on both system and option roms.

I mean IDEALLY of course, I'd love a REX, but I emailed the address on
club100 a couple times and never got any answer, and the plans for REX
aren't published like on oshpark, so oh well. Even if by a miracle one REX
became available from somewhere, I still probably wouldn't want to invest
time hacking with it if no one else could ever make use of the results. If
the REX were reproducible at will and anyone could have one, THEN it would
be a worthwhile target for hacking/developing. If not, then I'd rather just
start a new public/open design even if it's cruder and reinventing the
wheel.

(And now that I say that, I realize I sure like my MISE, and that's
basically in the same boat. The design is not public. The guy just happens
to be actively producing and supporting it right now. So maybe I'm being
inconsistent. At least I made my enclosure for the MISE public, including a
slick non-trivial arrangement to hold the cf card reader which does not
have any nice mounting holes or anything, if I do say so myself. ;) )

In the 102 of course I just stuck a plain socket in and a plain dip 27c256.
No complications there. Same goes for late m100 too apparently though both
my m100's needed the adapter.