Sounds like it is crashed.  Try cold starting it and see if memory is back
to normal. The typical ways this happens is running an ML program with a
bug or attempting to load a untokenized basic program with a BA extension.

Logical operators can be used for masking and whatnot. But to shift in
BASIC you need multiplication and division by powers of two.

-- John.