Yes, the spam message was just :

"
*Why is this message in Spam?* It has a from address in yahoo.com but has
failed yahoo.com's required tests for authentication.  Learn more
<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1366858?hl=en&expand=5>
"

What you describe is exactly what I see also. So I guess the spam thing was
just an unrelated thing.
This message I'm replying to was in spam also. I only saw it because I was
checking for a web site forgot-password email that didn't show up.

Thanks for the corroboration.