But you can't run any basic program on a Model 600, because it doesn't come
with basic. That's why it's such a big deal to discover that it's in the
built-in telcom. With that, it's then possible to download basic as an
executable, and THEN you can run basic programs.

There was a basic option rom, which no one had.

You could burn a new option rom easily, because the molex carriers are
available and th option rom pinout is standard 27C256, except so far there
is no copy of the basic option rom to be found anywhere.

There is a basic executable that you could copy from a floppy to ram and
run, and that is available on-line, but it's unclear if there is any way to
create a floppy on a modern pc which the 600 could read. (It might be
doable, or not, I'm still poking at it. Someone said they think they
remember doing it years ago with the teledisk program, but that may be too
old now. It may require both dos, and an old floppy disk controller, maybe
and old drive too, not a curent usb floppy drive. It absolutely needs a
double density disk, but you can still get those, though they are all old
stock.

That combination of things leaves you in a real pickle.

But now if I can just get this built-in xmodem to work, I could transfer
the basic.!55 file (a binary executable), and THEN everything is better at
that point. Then I can save it to disc, and use it to run any of those
archived basic programs. Assuming that file is actually good and runs and
works. And can use xmodem to both upload and download the files from the
original utility disk to back them up and let other people get them.