To build your own REX

tandy.wiki/REX

(Please feel free to improve this if you do it. It could be fleshed out a
lot more.)

For much simpler project just to make a mombo/rombo-alike

tandy.wiki/FigTronix

There's 3 boards there. You're interested in only the last 2. They both
have pros and cons.

If you can solder with paste and hot air, the plcc socket is the most
all-around convenient to use. For the record, I managed it without even a
cheap $60 hot air station. I used a $20 mini heat gun, just to find out if
it was possible.

The soic one is the most straightforward to build, but then requires either
a test clip or a special programming adapter with a molex socket to
re-program it later.

(The main rom is a whole separate discussion that I'll just skip in this
email.)