I used a $25 xilinx programmer and all free software and a 10 year old
netbook to flash the xilinx.

And a Model 100, $3 Monoprice 479 cable, $10 generic usb-serial adpter, and
that same netbook to load the REXMGR image.

I can help get that going if the sketchy pointers on tandy.wiki aren't good
enough.

It took a while dinking with the software to figure out what you're
supposed to do exactly, especially getting the special usb drivers working
on linux, but in the end, there isn't actually very much *money* or
equipment required.

And I somewhat documented at least the main points to getting the xilinx
software and the usb drivers. It's mostly just the "missing links" not a
complete step by step recipe, partly because, the exact steps would
different for you or anyone else, unless you are also going to be using
exactly the same ubuntu 16.04... but I wrote down each part that was a
mystery so that now it's not a total mystery.

Basically, you just need a $25 xilinx programmer and some time to tinker.