I think there's another stupid simple possibility that I keep forgetting to
check too: maybe there is room if the board is just offset a little to one
side or another?

Or, maybe have the new chip laying upside down on that nice empty bare spot
right next to the original socket.
The adapter board would be the size of two dip28 next to each other.
One dip28 footprint has pins.
The other has a socket, both on the same side of the board.
If that works, then it looks funny, but you have everything.
* original socket left alone, "damage-free-towing"
* new chip is socketed and removable from the adapter
* adapter is removable from the motherboard
* original rom can be put back in any time.

The pins for the original socket might need to be slightly tall.
The entire board might need a little securing, like velcro or double sided
foam between the new rom and the bare spot of the motherboard. Even if the
socket is actually stiff enough to hold it all just fine, you probably want
something anyway to ensure the new rom doesn't knock on the motherboard and
cuase wear on the spot where it rests over time.