My new cable is like you say on the right.

----

* The Model 100 tech ref
http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/pdf/Tandy/Model%20100%20Tech%20Reference.pdf
page 28
(also the service manual

http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/pdf/Tandy/Model%20100%20Service%20Manual%20(Final).pdf
 page 35)

Says, for instance, AD0 is pin 3

* The DVI service manual
http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/pdf/Tandy/Disk%20Video%20Interface%20Service%20Manual.pdf
page 70

Says AD0 is pin 6

----

Similarly, I've now built a T102 cable with the twists.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMkzQNqSYNaG6XGROBssfEmXJ5kj3-Kv-gOHMuqPQJdSUloL8ZpSs83D-tcocw8jA?key=ZzRJQnlPVXlsRVZJVGE1ZXlKdkpoYnlvTUh0NjhB

* The T102 tech ref
http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/pdf/Tandy/Model%20102%20Tech%20Reference.pdf
page 20

Says AD0 is pin 5.

And sure enough, this cable constructed this way, pin 5 on the T102 end
goes to pin 6 on the DVI end.

This cable visually matches up with the old ebay one too, which we can only
assume was good.
(I didn't buy this cabel, just downloaded the pics while the ad was still
up)
https://goo.gl/photos/Sm8xx3Ys2vJwpQYu7

----

To me this corroborates the M100 cable, because it shows that both cables
deliver the same signal to the same pin at the DVI end, and I think there
is no argument about how to make a T102 cable, and this T102 cable also
appears to agree with the tech references. Everything is consistent with
everything else.

This also reasserts my initial idea that they designed the DVI pinout
specifically to accommodate the fact that the DIP connector connects to
different pins than regular IDC connectors (setting aside the different
numbering pattern for dip vs pin headers), specifically to allow a flat
simple cable using a dip connector like the one I have, and the other ones
I found on other sites where the data sheet explicitly showed the "pin 1 to
wire 2" note, and why the T102 needs twists.

I've now tried both my M100's and my T102, and none of them are booting my
dvi, but by now, I actually think it's a problem with the dvi even though
these cables are both new and unproven. The pinouts check out with the
manuals, my new T102 cable also agrees visually with those pics from that
old ebay item for a T102 cable. I got my dvi off ebay and never saw it
actually work, nor did the seller claim it.