I would imagine few use it for serious writing anymore. Modern laptops have
pretty good battery life (10 hours+) and are pretty portable, as well as
have all the modern conveniences and connectivity that you generally need
these days. There are also plenty of distraction-free and purpose built
apps/software, obviously.

I reviewed one of the modern options, the Freewrite, earlier this year:
http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2017/02/27/review-astrohaus-freewrite-smart-typewriter-distraction-free-writing-device/

It's effective, but pricey. The main advantage that it has over the M100
series is that you don't have to do anything special to make it work within
modern workflows. In many ways, it's actually more limited than the M100
series, though, and is really just a smart typewriter (and that's all it
really claims to be).

I've certainly entertained the idea of using one of my M100 series systems
for my professional writing activities - or even some leisure stuff - but
it would be more as a novelty these days than something that I feel would
enhance my productivity (and maybe even the opposite). With that said, in
many ways, there really is no true modern equivalent to what the M100
series can do. Considering all the ways we can work now, something like
that is probably not needed, but it's still interesting to note.

-Bill

Bill Loguidice | About me and other ways to get in touch
<http://about.me/billloguidice>