I don't have a problem paying good money for retro stuff that warrants it.
I enjoy playing with the Tandy portables, one if the reasons being because
they are so cheap to find. I don't have to worry about babying them too
much.

I could maybe see $300-400 for a sealed, NIB 102. MAYBE $500. $800 for a
used one is just plain crazy - either two bidders that have way too much
money, or eBay fraud.