I'm continuing to hack on it, but now my own current local version isn't
working any more. I'm *this* close to having the top-right corner of ts-dos
display the current working dir instead of the static string "SDTPDD". But
the version currently posted on github still works and does at least have
the disk activity led and pretty good working sleep so it idles at 3ma, yet
wakes back up as soon as ts-dos does anything. The al32u4 branch remember
not master. master is Jimmy's version untouched. That works too, just no
sleep so it draws more power, and no led activity. Do you have a rs232
level shifter? you need that too. and you have to bridge dsr & dtr on the
M100 side (I would also tie in dcd to those on general principle but I
don't think ts-dos cares, and it doesn't care about rts/cts either. You can
ignore those and leave them open or short them. Only the M100 needs to see
the dtr/dsr short, not the arduino, so you do it on the rs232 side of the
rs232 tranceiver.

The sleeping current draw is pretty dependant on the sd card. If you have
10 different sd cards, you'll have 10 different sleep currents.

So far these Adafruit 32u4 boards seem to have alot more delicate boot
loader than the Teensy. The Teensy just about always works. When I hit the
reset button, their special programmer pops up and it's practically a
guarantee that it will program. The adafruit boards keep disappearing from
the bus and depending on what code is currently loaded in the board, I
sometimes have to retry programming 50 times to get it to go. I'm on linux
though not windows so maybe the windows version of everything works better.
(I've already googled up,the stuff about removing modemmanager and
installing udev rules to set group perms on the dev nodes etc, but there
could still be systemd crap going on. Or it could just be the kernel du
jour. I haven't tried booting back to something like 4.16.x or the distro
official kernel yet.

So, if you have trouble programming, don't give up. It was a bit finnicky
to get it working initially, but then once it was working, it was working
more or less fine for me for a week or more straight. Then just in the last
day or so something changed. I even got another of the same board just see
if maybe I fried my original one. (There is a store within driving distance
that has them right on a peg board, like Radio Shack should have had
instead of cell phones) The new board behaves exactly the same as soon as I
flash my current buggy code on it. It seems to depend on the code running
on the board. Even though the reset button kicks out of your code tonthe
bootloader, your code still kicks back in after a few seconds, and it seems
like some code is worse than other about what happens next, whether the
/dev/ttyACM# device will disappear or stay.