By tightly coupled, I mean that Telcom has inside  knowledge of the rest of
the system.

The tpdd does not.

(nor the dvi, and I'd put money on the chipmunk too)

The only reason you can produce examples of other software and systems
doing things like that, is because it's something that used to be very
common, and even today every new programmer takes some time to learn
better, and some never do. But by now it is recognized as an antipattern.
After Joe-self-taught-teenager-programmer-from-the-70s-80s writes a bunch
of such stuff, it's all fine at first, and only later he discovers that he
has written an unmaintainable and unportable brick. Customer wants the
tiniest change and it's practically impossible, because the code is riddled
with assumptions that should never have been made.

John did raise some points that no tpdd emulator to date has emulated the
drive *really* though, else they would use disk images instead of files.
And the knitting machines don't use files either.

I personally don't think that's a strong enough argument, but it is at
least an argument. I think that just means a tpdd emulator is a filesystem
instead of a disk. OK, so I would not tolerate a filesystem that modified
the files either.

As to Mikes point about causing harm:

Preserving data is never causing harm.

If there is harmful data, then the harm was caused by the thing that
created that harmful data.

I see that as "two wrongs don't make a right".

If a text editor added eof, that was a bad text editor, and it's more
helpful to the user to have the bad data and thus indirectly the cause of
the bad data, be exposed and corrected, rather than silently allowed to
persist and even propagate over time. So that you go on thinking you
actually have good data when you don't and it just fails tomorrow in any
other context.