On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 4:45 PM Fugu ME100 <b4me...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have used de-oxit on the edge of the elastomer to pcb contact in the past –
> very, very sparingly to try and clean the PCB contacts.  Then used a piece of
> stiff card to very very gently push the elastomer in an attempt to clean up
> the contacts.  This tends to work for lines that are blank rather than dim.
> The line is totally gone in this case either horizontally or vertically and
> they tend not to repeat.
>
> With lines that are just a little dimmer than the rest I have not found a
> good solution.  If they are paired like this example it implies to me that
> the driver chips are no longer working properly.   The screen is split in two
> parts driven by the same horizontal chips.  So the 1&2 are the same as 33 &
> 34 lines.
>
> As Jeff mentions check the –5V is close to –5V eg –4.89V or higher.
>
> The problem is not related to the battery replacement.   It is simply the age
> of the machine, the old LCD displays were prone to heat and moisture problems
> and of course the chips themselves do age.
>
> Don’t be tempted to take the screen apart they are almost impossible to get
> back together and work – yes I have tried it :)

So have I. It doesn't end well. Due to their age, the zebra strips
have now been permanently deformed by the plating of the tracks on the
PCB (and possibly on the glass as well). I briefly looked to see if I
could find a vendor to make zebra strips the right size for the
M100/M102 displays but didn't find anything. These strips have to be
die-cut very precisely so that they apply even pressure to the LCD
electrodes and the PCB contacts.

I think that if we could find a source for these elastomeric
connectors, we could "rehabilitate" a large number of M100 LCD
assemblies. Does anyone have good industrial contacts that might could
make these? I imagine we'd be looking at a multi-hundred min qty
purchase, but given the rarity of M100 LCDs I think it should be done.
If one guy can bring new PC-1 LCDs into the world, surely we can find
a source for this part. Right?