Hey John,

I was reading the posts about posits ... pretty interesting.

But the Model T ROM doesn't actually use IEEE floating point format ... It uses a format where the first byte contains the sign bit and 7-bit exponent, followed by 3 or 7 bytes of BCD encoded data. For the exponent, 40h represents "zero". In single precision, pi would be (all hex):

41 31 41 53

and 0.05 would be

3F 50 00 00

The ROM does this so it can easily display and convert numbers and can calculate floating point easily (since it has the DAA instruction). Given the encoding in the posit number, it would likely result in RAM savings for storing floating point numbers, but it is unclear to me if a Model T implementation would actually result in ROM savings. It might actually make the ROM bigger! :)

Ken