On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 9:36 AM Eric LK <tr...@lefauve.org> wrote:

> That sounds like a PebbleWatch screen :o) It's good to know there are
> alternative out there since Pebble is now out of business.

I think one manufacturing issue they had is that JDI is no longer
making decent yield on those color trans-flective displays. I love the
results though -- I'm saddened by the constant loss of features on my
Pebble Time.

> By the way, is there any work in progress to find a replacement screen
> solution for the existing M100?
>
> I'm just asking because my two working M100 has more and more screen
> issues everyday, and I'd like it if we could just retrofit a new more
> reliable screen (I don't say the original one wasn't reliable, since
> it's still usable after 30 years, but you see what I mean :o) ).

I think the only issue w/ the M100/102 displays is the zebra strip --
a.k.a. the elastomeric connector that moves the signals from the
control PCB to the electrodes on the glass. These strips haven't
really changed much (other than getting denser, which is a good thing
all around) so they're still current tech. The problem is that they
have to be die cut VERY CAREFULLY to achieve the proper size and fit.
If we could get a manufacturer to make new zebra strips, I think we
could rehab >75% [1] of all the problematic M100 displays out there.

Anybody know any resources for elastomeric connectors?

-Josh

1 - The screens with lines out, or partial lines out, are suffering
connector failure. Screens with a rectangular area out (or stuck on)
are suffering from a controller chip failure.