yes It works fine (at least as expected as it's on a chromebook with beagleterm) using a USB to Serial cable & null modem. I'm just grasping at straws wrt the rex as i'm trying everything I can think of unfortunately whoever installed the rex didn't put a bit of ribbon under it so it's going to be a PITA to remove.

-Russell