Wow.  I think breaking up a thread when the main subject diverges into a
subtopic is a good idea, but Google freaks out about it on this list.  When
I changed the subject of the message in my reply when it came back in to me
through gmail Google I got a big yellow box with the following warning in
it.  So if people see this message too please don't freak out -- it doesn't
mean you were hacked.
Be careful with this message

This may be a spoofed message. The message claims to have been sent from
your account, but Gmail couldn’t verify the actual source. Avoid clicking
links or replying with sensitive information, unless you are sure you
actually sent this message. (No need to reset your password, the real
sender does not actually have access to your account!)