I did a video showing fitting a supercap in a M100 and I have also refurbished
them with a NiMh cell. In the course of researching supercaps to pick out the
correct one I learned a lot about them and their ‘hidden’ quirks.

The biggest drawback to a supercap is the very high self-discharge rate,
especially in the first 72 hours or so, then it tapers off considerably. I
don’t recall the name of this particular specification, but it gives you
something like the discharge rate after 72 hours and seemed a bit wishy washy
form manufacturer to manufacturer. The main point being that you will lose a
lot of the charge in the first 72 hours even with no load. The tiny load of the
M100 RAM is dwarfed by the self-discharge rate.

It was fun to learn enough about supercaps to be able to specify one for my
M100 but the humble NiMh cell will last MUCH longer. Both capacitors and
batteries will leak eventually so pick your poison 😊. For me I’m content to use
a NiMh cell from now on.

Speaking of NiMh cells, while the original battery is NiCad given the low
charge rate a NiMh cell works perfectly as a substitute and they are available
in the exact size. I bought a bunch of them from a manufacturer as I was
working on a number of M100s at the time and put the rest on my website.
Arcadeshopper, who is also a list member carries them as well.

https://www.soigeneris.com/memory-backup-battery-mbat1

Jeff Birt (Hey Birt!)