The TTL serial hardware mod applied to the cassette port could be used , as
could the normal serial port.

I think that it would make sense to translate the control codes before they
leave the M100. So a new version of the DVI software, which includes
control code conversion to VT100 standard.
(an alternative is to rework the firmware in the VT100 emulator, which is
available, and make it speak M100)

Given your above example of an old laptop as a terminal emulator, yes it
could work and that is an argument for VT100 code generation in the M100
before it leaves.

WRT signal inversion, that's easy to do via software in the M100.

Thoughts?

..Steve