On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 12:31 AM Abraham Moller <molle...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) How necessary is it to replace the internal NiCd battery? My battery is
> not leaking but it has a tiny bit of corrosion on one side.

Extremely necessary! These batteries *will* kill your slab. Even if you
don't replace it, desolder it or snip it out ASAP.

It looks like ArcadeShopper carries replacement batteries. Is a NiCd or
> NiMH replacement better?

I prefer NiMH and have had good luck with them.

If necessary, how hard is removal/replacement? I don't want to damage any
> traces!

Replacement is relatively easy, provided that you have a good iron. There's
a bit more heat load on those pads than the usual trace, so I use my
80-watt desoldering gun for these. Excessive heat does pose a threat to the
batteries as well, but unless you're using a way-too-hot iron, or heating
the joint for many many seconds, that shouldn't cause any damage.

I figure I may as well take this opportunity to let people know that I do
provide M100 repair services -- though I'm a bit behind in completing them
recently (apologies to those of you who know who you are). Also, in order
to prevent these systems from needless battery damage, I've decided to drop
my "standalone" battery replacement charge from $25 to $20 in order to
encourage people to get them replaced. This price includes the battery and
labor - return postage is extra. I'm also reducing my "with other work"
charge from $15 to $12, just to be fair(er). I'll honor this to anyone I've
quoted work for recently.

PLEASE PLEASE get those memory batteries out! And, while you're at it,
remove the primary (AA) batteries from machines you aren't using as well --
those kill too!

-Josh