On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 10:07 AM Tom Wilson <wilso...@gmail.com> wrote:

> file transfer software is at the top of my list. Is TS-DOS the best
> option? Are there any really useful modern custom ROMs that add fixes or
> features, like the Y2K century fix?

The REX should apply a Y2K fix, even if you don't do the hardware mod for
ROM replacement.  There are a few other ROMs with application software on
them, most available from the Wiki at
http://bitchin100.com/wiki/index.php?title=REX#Option_ROM_Images_for_Download
with
the exception of SARDOS, which Kurt uploaded to the member library at
http://www.club100.org/memfiles/index.php?&direction=0&order=nom&directory=Kurt%20McCullum

I am using the fixed TS-DOS "4.10" (that works with multiple pages of
files) that was posted to the list recently, loaded from TSLOAD in RAM.
I was previously using TEENY because of the RAM footprint of keeping TS-DOS
(a.k.a. DOS100.CO) available at all times, but when Kurt posted a working
TSLOAD the other day I switched to keeping that installed instead.  I
couldn't find the program anywhere on the Internet, so it was a great
boon!  With TSLOAD, you keep the DOS100.CO on "disk" and just run TSLOAD to
start it off the disk whenever you need the to use the UI.  It's a nice way
to limit the weight of the DOS in memory when you don't have a DOS in ROM.

As a relatively new user, this was kind of an interesting journey to go on,
especially since all the latest and greatest bits aren't really all in one
place, and while there's heaps of documentation out there it's pretty
fragmented and sometimes assumes a bunch of prior approaches that people
aren't using as much.  When my REX shows up, I'll go through it all over
again to learn what ROM I want to use on a primary basis.  My T102 is for
using!

I'm definitely curious what kind of software and ROM loadout folks use on a
daily driver basis.