Hi,

I’ve just installed LaddieAlpha on my Mac. At first this didn’t work, as the
runtime that came with the package was too old for my Mac. However, a quick
trip to the Mono website fixed that issue. When installing the Mono environment
I almost fell of my chair. The install takes up over 1GB of disk space… 1GB!
And that to run a 320MB+ diskemulator! Now don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy
that I can now exchange files directly from the Mac (first I was using DosBox +
DeskLink). But still… 1.3GB of space just to emulate a diskdrive… Even the
entire VirtualT Mac version is only 4.4MB.
It truly boggles my mind! This is exactly what for me is the appeal of these
old machines like the M100… you could do quite a bit of work with so little
resources.
Now Mono is likely an extreme example the other extreme… I develop a
Knowledge/Database platform in Rust and the current release build takes only
3.7Mb of space (for a complete database platform and this doesn’t require any
other dependencies at all, except a base OS). So it is possible to still do a
lot with relatively little resource demands, but still it sometimes amazes me.
Anyway, this all makes it all the more fun to keep these old baddies working
and do some good old Assembler coding talking straight to the iron.

Cheers,
   Erik