On 7/14/20 8:36 PM, Ben Strewens wrote:
I have one of these drives, but no disk for it. I was able to do the PC hack to make it work, but I'd rather have the disk. Is there anyone in Canada that could make one for me for a small fee?

I made up a bunch of TPDD1 and TPDD2 disks from NOS disks, designed and laserprinted nice labels on good glossy stock, and they are for sale on arcadeshopper.com

(I don't run that shop, I just sent him the stuff to distribute that way so they are discoverable, and so that he can deal with 100 different mailings and I only have to deal with one.)

I DID pay it forward several times over, the fact that someone sent me a disk for free, and made several copies for free for people for a while before making one big batch and dumping them on Greg to deal with via his store. (and then a couple times saw that disk appear on ebay immediately after spending time and one of my few nos 720K disks sending it to someone for free incuding mail...)

I do feel a little self-conscious or defensive saying something is for sale that should just be a favor, but it's only a favor a few times, after that it's a time-consuming chore, and I don't want to have a 2nd job as an ebay seller. So I just slogged through 20 of each in one big job, and sent them all to arcadeshopper in one shipment, charged him enough to cover the disks, labels, bags, shipping, and now it's someone else's actual compensated job to deal with mailing the individual ones out any time someone needs one.

There is no way to hurry the process of making a disk with the included backup utility, especially if you test-boot each one, and it puts wear on the drive. Especially the TPDD1 disks are a pain because the TPDD1 bootstrap procedure is a pain.

The same goes for the DVI disks for 100, DVI disks for 200, the TPDD cables, and the DVI cables.

Plus I thought, being a store, it would have a better chance of turning up in google searches when a new person got a TPDD on ebay or smething, and they go to search for info about it, they would have a better chance of finding out that the lost special disk or cable is available, vs a post or two here where only a few people who happen to be on the list at that time ever see it. I don't know how true that's turning out to be, but it's got to be better than nothing.

On 2020-07-14 7:32 p.m., Doug Jackson wrote:
Ohhh Ahhhh,

Stephen, are you hinting that with an actual drive I could recreate my own TPPD 1 disk?   That would be cool.  I am just about to do a belt replacement on one who's belt turned into black goo - When I removed the belt it literally went everywhere - and then the cleanup of the workshop bench was spectacular. Alcohol worked a treat :-)

While there are beautiful solid state versions of the TPPD now, but the concept of a drive that clicks and whirs is very appealing to me, Just like the 8" drives in my PDP11.

Kindest regards,

Doug Jackson

em: d...@doughq.com <mailto:d...@doughq.com>
ph: 0414 986878

Check out my awesome clocks at www.dougswordclocks.com <http://www.dougswordclocks.com>
Follow my amateur radio adventures at vk1zdj.net <http://vk1zdj.net>

Just like an old fashioned letter, this email and any files transmitted with it should probably be treated as confidential and intended solely for your own use.

Please note that any interesting spelling is usually my own and may have been caused by fat thumbs on a tiny tiny keyboard.

Should any part of this message prove to be useful in the event of the imminent Zombie Apocalypse then the sender bears no personal, legal, or moral responsibility for any outcome resulting from its usage unless the result of said usage is the unlikely defeat of the Zombie Hordes in which case the sender takes full credit without any theoretical or actual legal liability. :-)

Be nice to your parents.

Go outside and do something awesome - Draw, paint, walk, setup a radio station, go fishing or sailing - just do something that makes you happy.

^G ^G ^G ^G ^G ^G ^G ^G- In more laid back days this line would literally sing ^G ^G ^G ^G ^G ^G ^G ^G