Well ok thanks guys.
In a nutshell,  ( long winded explanation of problem to follow)...

The Geoff VT100 page has both Geoffs source project files as well a binary
file that can be programmed.

The binary contains the application plus bootloader

When I try to build the project myself (unchanged) I get a different binary
that does not seem to include the bootloader.    In any case I cannot see a
way to produce the same binary as what he provides.  I cant relplicate his
build.

As well, I cant see anything that seems to relate to the bootloader
functionality in the actual code.

Very confusing.

In any case, the code that MPLAB X produces can be programmed but it does
not work.  Meaning if I erase the part completely and then attempt to
program my application, the device does not start after the application  is
loaded.

However I know my binary works because if I program it OVER TOP of an MCU
that has the original binary in it, I can thusly install my application and
see it run.

So it really seems like I can produce working application code .. but the
bootloader portion cant be generated from scratch. I must be already in
there by separate means for my application to work.

So I am a bit stuck.   The only way I can produce MVT100 processors is to
first program with the original code  and then overlay my code.

Strange.

Any thoughts?  I really am a newbie on these things.

Thabks Steve