Telecom used to (and still do, I believe) keep a very close eye on each
phone pair to make sure you didn't add more handsets to your service
than you had rented from Telecom (this was quite a few years ago).  They
didn't want anything impacting their central office equipment, and a
modem that was not certified to work on their equipment definitely
counted as that.

Remember too that no dial-up modem in Australia would answer the
Bell-standard tones emitted by the built-in modem, so there was hardly
any point connecting it up anyway.  You could not get the integrated
telephone cord in Australia, and I don't think you could get an acoustic
coupler either.  External modem was the way to go, which opened up the
possibility of going faster than 300 baud!  :-)

Cheers,    Bert