On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 11:45 PM Bert Put <b...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> As an owner of a M-100 while in Australia, I remember that we were
> forbidden to connect the built-in modem to the Australian telephone
> network.  We had to use an external modem.  I do not know if that is the
> same in the UK, but it's quite likely.
>
> Cheers,    Bert

that's what also happened in Italy. The Olivetti M10's internal modem
was never approved by local regulations to be connected to
the phone network (also probably because the modem IC is hardwired to
BELL modulation and instead we were using CCITT modes). In facts, my
M10 had most of the modem components snipped out of the PCB, and one
of the receive opamp was shortcircuited with a solder blob. I've
replaced all the missing components, calculating them to work with
CCITT V.21 modulation
and re-wired the modem IC to use V.21 of course, however I'm still not
able to have the modem work, I needed to investigate
what's still wrong with it, but other project (and life) took precedence so far.
Frank IZ8DWF