Thanks for sending the manual, interesting!
I don't think you can connect this counter to X2 directly.  It won't
oscillate.
Are you using the EXT input or the TTL input at the back?

But, is there any way you can, with another M100, confirm that you can
measure 2.4576 MHz on pin 37?  To me it feels like there is a ground issue,
or something.
The fact that this machine does start some times, suggests that you should
be able to get the counter connected and have M100 running, at the same
time.

I have a bag of 4.9152MHz crystals, if you need one.

The other way to measure clock is to connect to pins on the system bus.
Pin 15 is buffered clock.