The felt is on a plastic arm, but that arm is lifted by a bit of sheet
metal to let the disk in and out.

I think what he meant was it's possible for that metal to be bent and keep
the felt lifted, perhaps only a little, even when the disk is inserted and
the door closed, preventing the felt from pressing the disk to the
read/write head.