" "give me a copy of that FOO.DO", and then on the host it
goes "I don't see any FOO.DO? Here is zero bytes of data." "

Maybe. But I had a whole layer in their for filename mapping. And I have
three different TPDD emulators I worked on (DLPilot, DLPlus and
LaddieCon/LaddieAlpha) so I might be mixing them together.

The reason for the mapping was, to allow you to edit HTML files, TXT files,
filenames longer than 6 or 8 characters, etc. The casing to be m100
friendly just came along for the ride. I don't think at the time of DLPlus
I knew about or was fixing the DO/BA problem which is the other reason to
map filenames.

With a real TPDD this never comes up. The only way files get created on a
real TPDD is by Model 100 client programs. TPDD emulators aren't disk
drives.

-- John.