From: M100 <m100-boun...@lists.bitchin100.com> On Behalf Of Peter Noeth
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2021 7:30 PM
To: Model 100 Discussion <m100@lists.bitchin100.com>
Subject: Re: [M100] Other things that used the Molex socket

Jeff,

  You have to remember that the socket was designed for a "Masked ROM", like
the Main ROM, which **was** the standard pinout. At that time there were no
programable ROMs (PROMs or EPROMs) that had compatible pinouts, due to the
circuit changes necessary for the programming function (capacitor "cells" in
EPROMS and "fuses" in PROMS) that caused the pinout to change because of
internal layout.

  Computer manufacturers used Masked ROMs to reduce the per chip cost in large
quantities, where they didn't expect frequent changes in content. Also I don't
remember a 32K EPROM being available in 1983. Most were 8K or less.

  The initial high cost of producing the "mask" and required minimum quantity
order explains why there were not more "option ROMs" from other software
houses. The One Time Programable (OTP) PROMs would have been a good choice, but
didn't exist in the 32K size, and the OTP EPROMS didn't exist until decades
later.

  I remember this was always a pain in modifying computer "operating systems"
in the early days of "turn key" computers. Not a problem with the S-100 Bus
systems, as the CPU board was loaded with easy to change EPROM sockets.

Regards,

Peter

Message: 2